Friday, April 9, 2010

listening to a cassette

When you don't have the cable for your ipod in the car, what do you do? Do you listen to a CD instead? No, because CD is dead. I might as well listen to a tape. This is what happened on the way from Sinai. The tape which belonged to one of our companions was left in the car and last week I've been listening to this tape obsessively. The female voice which I can't understand except for the habibis and the elbis is reminding me of something I'm not quite sure what, but I can't stop listening to this one tape over and over. It feels like what it must have felt like listening to an old LP 10 years ago.

And it also reminds me of this in Turkish: doktor doktor

2 comments:

  1. On the LP question, try 25 years ago...Your Elissa's tape reminds me of my first car (way back in the late 70s, probably before your birth!) and my 8-track tape deck... I had 8-tracks of the Doobie Brothers (China Grove) and Carole King (You've Got a Friend) tapes... I've always loved them since.

    Maybe you should post a clip from Elissa's tape for us?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, 25 is more like it. thanks for bringing 8-track to my attention. I wasn't aware such a thing existed and I found out why. Apparently, it only existed in the US, so that's why I never had an 8-track of Modern talking singing cherry cherry lady :)
    for elissa try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GssVrs-Bug&feature=related

    bastannak means waiting for you and the clip is pretty stupid, so I still prefer listening to it on tape. I thought this girl was from the 90's because the tape was so old, but looks like she's pretty popular in Egypt these days. I even borrowed one of her CDs from a colleague today. Yes, a CD :)

    ReplyDelete